Indian Rice Pudding/ Kheer
|1||Rice||2 litres||Full cream Milk|
|1/4 cup||Raisins||1/4 cup||Almonds|
|3/4 cup||Sugar||1/2 cup||Cream|
|1/2 tsp||Grated Nutmeg|
1. Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan and bring to a boil, stirring often.
2. Blanch the almonds in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and peel them. Reserve for later.
3. Meanwhile, wash rice, drain and microwave for 1 min. Separate the grains and microwave further for a minute.Spread out in a platter to cool, and then grind in a coffee grinder till nicely done. Set aside.
4. Once the milk comes to a boil, mix the ground rice into the remaining cold ½ cup of milk.Stir this into the boiling milk, giving it a good stir since rice tends to form lumps otherwise.Add cardamom powder and saffron strands.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer, add cream and allow to cook for about 45 mins till rice gets cooked and the kheer/pudding thickens to a good consistency. Make sure the milk is stirred on and off to avoid it becoming lumpy.
6. Add the raisins,nutmeg and almonds (reserve a few almonds to slice for garnishing if desired). Then add the sugar, mix well, adjust for sweetness…remove and allow it to cool.
7. Once it cools down a bit, transfer to a bowl (or individual bowls) to set . Garnish if desired.
8. Chill for 4-6 hours before serving. If you want it thicker (or if it doesn’t thicken enough), add a tsp of cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp of cold milk once the rice is cooked.
9. Do remember though that the kheer/pudding will continue to thicken as it cools once done.
10. Also if the kheer/pudding does appear lumpy after the rice is cooked, run the hand mixer/whisk through the kheer/pudding before the raisins and almonds are added!!